why nbytes for block cipher encrypt/decrypt is only 512 bytes

Hi,

I am implementing a hardware encryption driver but I am having some performance issues.  One of the areas of performance improvement that I am thinking is to increase the number of bytes (unsigned int nbytes) that my block cipher driver's encrypt/decrypt function gets; from 512 to 4096 bytes.  My hardware can be maximized to 4kbytes.  Do you have any suggestions how I can maximize the en/decrypt performance by getting more than 512 bytes of data every time the block cipher's encrypt/decrypt is called?

Thank you very much for your help!

Kind Regards,
Rodel