Re: can't open luks device after raid 5 rebuild

On Sun, Apr 08, 2012 at 05:07:28PM -0300, Salatiel Filho wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 8, 2012 at 14:09, Heinz Diehl <htd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 08.04.2012, artificial11000 wrote:
> >
> >> ?mdadm --create --level=5 -n 3 /dev/md127 /dev/sdb /dev/sdc /dev/sdd
> > ? ? ? ? ---------
> >
> > Seems your data is gone, forever. You created a new raid manually,
> > which means that you deleted all your previous data.
> >
> > You have a backup, do you?

> I disagree. I got some missing superblock sometime in the past while
> assembling the array. Recreated it using mdadm -C with the same
> parameters for the raid-level and raid-devices and it did not touch my
> encrypted data. I was able to mount just fine after that. I always
> thought that mdadm would touch only their own superblock when
> creating.

No, it recreates the parity stripes. It has to, otherwise RAID consistency
checks would fail. If, for any reason, drive/device
order or stripe size is diferent, this will scramble your data.
The data is still there unless you write to the array, see my other
answer. It also overwrites the RAID superblocks.

If everything is the same, the original data will be there though,
because the new parity stripes are exactly at the same positions
on the same disks as the old ones and created from the same
non-parity stripes.

> Though at that time i had a degraded  array and my array is
> built on partitions , not the whole disk.

On a degraded array, you should always only (re-)add the missing
device or a replacement.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx