From: dm-crypt-bounces@xxxxxxxx [mailto:dm-crypt-bounces@xxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Sven Eschenberg
Sent: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 5:41 PM
To: dm-crypt@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  EXTERNAL: Re: LUKS encryption standards

Hi Justin,

If RHEL gets a FIPS Certification, the certificate will explicitly name
the mode of operation etc.

If you look at some of the certificates/validations (There is one for an
F-Prot Kernel Module or something like that which I looked at) there will
be listed, which hash methods/functions etc. took place in the
certification process and which didn't.

>From a plain technical POV (I only briefly looked at the FIPS-140 docs)
you'd have to make sure to use SHA as hashing, and AES (or possibly 3DES
if I saw it right) as cipher. Most of the docs on allowed functions refer
to other resources, so there would be some reading up to clarify this. I
could not find (as example) any indication on the desired mode of
operation that needs to be chosen, maybe FIPS really leaves this question
open.

What I am trying to say: dm-crypt (using the provided modules) can provide
the necessary cipher, hashing, HMAC functions that are acceptable. Same
holds probably true for Mode of Operation. Oh and the RNG source can be
chosen too, of course, thus it is easy to use any acceptable (P)RNG from
FIPS-140

---
Now from a security point of view: FIPS is not a standard, it is a
certification and revenue program. Basicly certain ciphers etc. need to be
supported (and none else when if FIPS mode) then some tests are conducted
and the module gets certified ... and what exactly does this prove? The
certification takes place at a certain point in time, everything after
that point in time is not covered, from what I read.

Since it's the very nature of OSS, that everyone can change and thus
tamper it, it is hard to get certified, then again, certified products
currently listed can be easily tampered with (esp. at the manufacturer)
and they would still be FIPS certified, and the whole (specific)
certification process (for a certain module) and the product's (tech.)
documenatation is not readily available for peer review...

I could not find any signatures in the certificate/validation document for
the module (in question) to check that no one tampered with it, since it
was 'certified'. That's just one of several scenarios that seem to be
neglected by the whole procedure.

Just a sidenote, why you might be lucky with a commercial distribution
like RHEL getting certified and why it is (IMHO) pointless afterall.

Regards

-Sven