Unlocking volume using master key

Hi,
    Here is my problem, i have an encrypted volume which is in locked state and
it has snapshots attached to it, the snapshots are Read Only snapshots. I took a
backup of the master key associated with the encrypted volume.

I cannot use the master key to add a new passphrase since the the new passphrase
will only be there on the source volume but will not get propagated to the
snapshots. Wont be able to use the new passphrase to unlock my snapshots.

My question over here is How do we unlock an encrypted volume using the Master
key? this is without having to add a new passphrase.

I am currently using cryptsetup 1.2 and i am on kernel 2.6.39.3

Thanks and appreciate your help.