Re: HELP, luksFormat over existing container

On Sat, Jan 07, 2012 at 10:57:08AM -0000, Konstantin V. Gavrilenko wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I have a problem :(
>
> by mistake, instead of luksOpen I executed lukFormat on the loop device
> with associated cryptofile.  even though the key is was the same, I have
> no backup of original luksHeader, so I assume i have no way of recovering
> the SALT.

And the master key is different in addition, at least in the first
key-slot that also has been overwritten.

> I am pretty much in Acceptance that it is not possible to
> recover anything, but would like to get an external confirmation, advice.

You are correct. Next step is to fix your set-up by adding
backup, see the FAQ.

> p.s. surprised and disappointing that cryptsetup does not issue a warning
> when running luksFormat over luks preformatted container :(

It gives you a very clear warning and asks for an uppercase "YES"
and asks for the passphrease two times. That _should_ be enough.
There is only so much a tool can do to protect you. The UNIX way is
to warn you, but to assume you want to do what you specified if
you ignore the warning.

There are a number of ways to kill the header that give a lot less
warning. Or none at all. Also the FAQ warns very, very clearly that
you _need_ a backup and should have a header backup. The backup
is the second line of defense and one of its major tasks is to
protect against user errors.

See it this way: Most people do not bother with backup until
they lose something important. The earlier you make that
experience, the better.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx