Re: dm-crypt on top of DRBD for live migration

Hi,

I see. If you place dm-crypt above DRBD, then you will have
the same master key on both machines, as the same LUKS header
will be on both machines. There is nothing random here. You
will create the LUKS header on one machine, and just use it
on the other one.

As to the potential problems, you get the same from the
buffer-cache and filesystem. Hence a situation where M1 and M2
both write to disk already breaks a number of things, because
the filesystm and the buffer-cache both depend on having
exclusive access to the underlying block device. If you
add plain dm-crypt or LUKS as encryption, it just has the
same requirement.

If you look at the picture on the DRBD homepage, then you see that
it is somewhat misleading. The mirroring can always be active,
but only one service layer, filesystem and buffer-cache can.
And before you can migrate the service layer, you need to
teardown the filesystem and buffer-cache on the first machine,
by unmounting the device. Only then can you mount the device
on the second machine. And only after that can you start the
service layer on the second machine.

The exception here is if you have a proper cluster-filesystem.
These can have filesystem instances and buffer-cache instances
on several machines accessing the same block device. Here,
you must place encryption below DRBD on each machine, as
dm-crypt is not capable of supporting multiple copies of
itself accessing the same block device concurrently. It
may even work most of the time, but especially in LUKS
header management could fail, potentially destroying the
header.

This (dm-crypt below DRBD) produces indeed two different
raw data sets on both machines, but DRBD only sees the
decrypted versions through dm-crypt and hence no problems
result.

Hope this clears matters up a bit.

Arno

Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx