Re: please HELP - can't acces encrypted LVM after linux reinstallation.

I am opposed to this. cryptsetup is not at fault here, it displays
a big, fat warning (unless disabled). If an installer decides
to suppress that warning and give something far less clear,
then the installer is broken and needs to be fixed. A good
installer would  give a very clear warning and require
more than just a click or "RETURN" as confirmation.
cryptsetup already does both.

In addition, any kind of automatic header backup
breaks the LUKS security model and needs to come
with a very clear warning if automatized (as in an
installer). The problem is that old passphrases will
be stored and will survive deletion in the active LUKS
header. That is not good at all.

The right thing here is to complain to those that made the
broken (or not careful enough) installer and to ask them to
either keep the very clear warning and verification question
asked by cryptsetup, or to do something equally clear
themselves.

Side note: I am unsure whether Ubuntu has fixed this issue by now.
Does anybody know?

Side note 2: Added a generic warning about dangerous distro installers
to the FAQ.

Arno

Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx
----