Re: [RFC] dm-crypt and hardware-optimized crypto modules

Hi Jonas,

the definite authority on this is Milan, but as far as I
understand module autoloading, as long as an implementation
for a requested cipher is already loaded, that will be used.
Now, I expect it would be possible to not build the normal
AES module and thereby have the HW-supported AES module loade
automatically when needed. As the Debian distro-kernel cannot
know HW-support would be there, it obviously defaults to the
software implementation.

AFAIK, if both HW and SW support are loaded, HW support
is used as default. I think there is some kind of priority
system in place. But I am really only guessing here.

I see two ways around this:

1. Load the HW module manually (or scripted).
   While I have not used a Debian Distro kernel for a long
   time, I think adding the HW-module to /etc/modules
   should accomplish that. Noneed to mess with the initrd,
   unless possibly if you have encrypted root.

2. Roll your own kernel, possibly with HW support statically
   compiled in. I have used Debian with kernels from kernel.org
   and module-support turned off with good success for about
   10 years now. (I don't like initrds. Good for distros, but
   they complicate things and complexity is the enemy of reliablity
   and efficiency. Also, I like to mess around with my installatons
   and initrds make that harder. I also do not like to use kernel
   modules very much, although it is definitely good that they
   are there.)

   To use your own kernel with Debian, just boot it and tell it
   the root partition. Of course you have to make sure it somehow
   has the drivers it needs to fnd and mount the root partition.

Arno

Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx
----