Re: LUKS in failover cluster

Thanks, I've never been very good at doing backups so any advice is
appreciated.

> > > Just to make sure: You _have_ read the FAQ?
> >
> > Yes I have read the FAQ.
>
> Good!
>
> > I guess I am just a little nervous about this project.
>
> Understandable.
>
> > This is my first time working with encryption and 50TB of
> > critical client data is at stake. Just being thorough and making
sure
> > fully understand everything.
>
> And that is all you can do. I think you are approaching this
> perfectly right. I take it the 50TB are alredy on XFS+LVM
> at this time and you are just adding the encryption layer?

Currently the data is spread across multiple ext3 volumes of 8TB or less
and is a pain to manage. That is the reason we are moving to XFS. The
encryption is currently being handled by a Brocade switch blade. The
encryption blade caused us major issues last year, resulting in a
multi-day outage. That is the why we are moving to LUKS.

> Make sure to use XTS mode or plain64 with ESSIV for these
> volume sizes.

I don't know what this means. Haha. But I will look it up.

> And let us know what your expeiences are!

Sure thing. This project has been my first exposure to XFS, LUKS and
clustering. And I'm the main Linux guy on my team. I've been working
with Red Hat, but the solution architect laughed when he saw what we
were trying to do. Haha. But he's been doing research and talking to his
Red Hat contacts. And you guys have helped out tremendously! Thank you!

Jacob