Re: zuluCrypt v3.0 released.

Hi,

This looks like a very nice project.

On 05/10/2011 08:28, .. ink .. wrote :
> project page: http://code.google.com/p/zulucrypt/
>
> screenshots of the new release:
> https://picasaweb.google.com/109794855728648275729/ZuluCryptV30?authuser=0&feat=directlink
>
> video showing features of the new release:
> https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B8juRKTjN4Q9Njk0MTY4OWQtODcyMi00MGY2LTg5ODktOTg2MGYyNGRiNzI1&hl=en_US
>
> This release put cryptsetup/zuluCrypt at the same level as truecrypt feature
> wise when used from the GUI.
>
> It can now (from the GUI)
> 1. Create key files( 512 bytes in size composed of only the 94 printable
> characters).

512 bits rather than bytes ?

> 2. Create volumes both in files and partitions.
> 3. Create both plain type and luks types volumes.
> 4. Add keys to luks type volumes.
> 5 . Delete keys from luks type volumes.
> 6. Close a bunch of bugs.
>
> All volume management can be done through either passphrases or key files.
>
> The core functionality is now in place and next version(version 4) will be
> for GUI user configuration options of things like font type, font size, use
> of tray icon and maintaining a list of favorite volumes.

I just took a look at the screenshots and I'm a bit surprised about the
fact keys are generated from /dev/urandom. Even for 512 bits, that is 64
bytes, wouldn't it be better to read key files from /dev/random ? Unless
there is a setting allowing the user to explicitly choose the source ?

Best,
Quentin