Re: Retrieve the Passphrase from RAM Memory

En réponse à Eduardo Schultze <duduschultze@xxxxxxxxx> :

> Hello,
>
> I'm a Security Information student at Unisinos College,
> Brazil. As a paper during this semester it was me and
> my colleagues choice to write a paper
> about LUKS on Ubuntu 10.4.
>
> My question is -  Is it possible to retrieve the passphrase
> from RAM memory after a successful authentication and
> shutdown? Is this case we would turn the system on,
> authenticate, turn off, and then check if the passphrase
> would still be in the RAM memory even with the turned off
> computer.

The passphrase, I don't think so, but the master key, yes
for sure.
Here is a paper in french (maybe google translate can
help) where somebody gets the master key, then use it
for reading data:
http://sylv1.tuxfamily.org/2008/240/gout-de-luks.html

Hope this helps

Envoyé avec Inmano, ma messagerie renversante et gratuite : http://www.inmano.com