Re: Blog post on FDE and integrity protection

Commercial, for sure. It combines fragments from well-known
facts and marketing speech. And it has not understood the
problem, advertizing for SAN/cloud services, where storage is
not block-based but file-based.

I should also note to anyone contemplating "solution" 3
that RAID1 does not read both devices on read access,
and inconsistencies will only show up if you or your
distro does RAID consistency checks.

And of course the whole article does not apply to the
SAN/cloud setting in the first place, as the attack
scenario is for an unmapped encrypted filesystem and
an attacker getting write access to that, i.e. the
encrypted raw (block) view needs to be exported to
the attacker. I do not see how that would be done in the
SAN/Cloud setting. These do their own filesystem
and block encryption must be done below the FS layer,
there is no way around that.

Arno

Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx
----