Re: some ideas for recovery?

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 12:55:40PM +0000, Ralf wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a problem accessing my data, I have backups but I try to understand what
> happened so it does not happen again. So maybe you can help me to understand the
> problem I am faced with.
>
> I run a mdadm-software-raid6 across 4x 1TB sata disks resulting in a ~2TB
> /dev/md0. This md0 is consistent and never had issues.

[...]

> Would it even be enough to have 99*64k behind the luks header to decrypt
> the FS?  Or what exact blocks would it need to for the IV calculations or
> decryption?  Is there a way to randomly try to decrypt specific blocks
> using the luksheader + my well known password to check if it works or not?

As you can see in the FAQ, item "What does the on-disk structure
of LUKS look like?" a LUKS header keyslot with standard parameters
is 128kiB long, so no, it is not enough. Incidentally, with XTS
as you are using, it is 256kiB and you need to add 4096B offset
for the header. All in the FAQ.

You should realy have a look at the FAQ before you fumble
in the dark like that.

You should also have a look a the "PASSPHRASES" warning at
the start of the FAQ.

And no, wihout an intact keyslot, you password is worthless.

On the other hand, if header and keyslot werw intact, you
would be abnle to luksOpen. cryptsetup does not care where
the header is or what device it is on, as long as it gets told
the offset of its start.

> Can you explain why my luks header is at offset 64k and why it may reject
> my password on the offsetted loopback device?

Keyslot damage? There is a reason the FAQ strongly recommends
having a header backup.

> Do you have any idea what might have happened?

No idea. A possible next step (after you have read up on the
LUKS on disk structure) is to look at keyslot 0 and the other
keyslots. Keyslot 1-7 should be zeroed. Keyslot 0 should
be all random-looking without any discernable structure
at all. If it is not, then something wrote into it and
effectively erased it, courtesy of the anti-forensivc
properties of LUKS.

As to preventing this happening again: Read the FAQ,
have a header backup, understand you on-disk structure
and you should be fine.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx