recovering forgotten password

Having searched through the archives and read the FAQ list, I know this
isn't going to be easy, but I have to give it a try anyway.  Yes, I'm
yet another guy who forgot his LUKS password.  And I encrypted both the
system and data LVs (when I first installed CentOS/Linux).  After a
couple days trying out various passphrases (going through my three
chances and then having to shut down and restart the machine to get
another three chances) and not succeeding, I removed the drive and put
it into a drive enclosure, then attached it (via USB) to an older but
working system.  Now I can read only the /boot partition of that drive....

Now, when I run cryptsetup, it won't let me specify the device name:

# cryptsetup status luks-3[...]683a /dev/sda3
/dev/mapper/luks-3[...]683a does not exist.

I also tried for device /dev/sda ... still no go.

Or is there a better way to input my passphrase guesses...?

tnx.