Re: LUKS & TrueCrypt - Speed Test

On 07/28/2011 03:40 AM, Milan Broz wrote:
> echo 3 > /proc/ss/cm/drop_caches
>
> does the same in more controlled way

Hello Milan,

Arraign I didn't know that one.  Good to know!

> Can you use something more recent? There were huge changes.
> The same for user space.

I always stay with the stock kernel (Fedora 14) so I don't have to take
care of bug-fixes & security-updates for the kernel :)   ...but I'll try
to run a newer kernel If I do the test again.

> BTW do you know that TC7 uses dm-crypt as backend? So with the same
> mode and alignemnt you should get the same results
> (except chained ciphers in TC).

I had no idea it used dm-crypt!  That's great.

> Perhaps because you tested different modes... Use the same mode
> in cryptsetup
>
> cryptstup luksFormat -c aes-xts-plain64 -s 512 ...
>
> I would really wonder if speed differs, TC7 uses dmsetup to configure
> dm-crypt mapping on Linux :-) It uses user space (and FUSE)  only for old
> containers and some magic for hidden container.

Great,  I'll do that.  I'll perform the tests again (everything equal:
kernel, disk, data, empty buffers, rsync) but I'll use xts this time for
LUKS.  I'll report back.

Thanks Milan!
Jorge