Re: Strange kind of corruption on a dm-crypt device

On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 08:01:21PM +0300, Oren Held wrote:
> Alright. Problem solved.
> As mentioned in Debian's
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=568008, default cipher was
> changed from aes-cbc-plain to aes-cbc-essiv:sha256, while mine uses the
> former.

Just as I suspected. aes-cbc-plain is the very old default from
cryptsetup 1.0.x (see FAQ section 8). Possibly Debian kept it longer
for backwards compatibility.

> (Still, crypttab should've enforced it, as I had a cipher=aes-cbc-plain
> line. I'll update if I find any interesting finding on that)

Interessting. That sounds like a bug. But cryptsetup does not
read /etc/crypttab, that is done by some init-scripting, which
is part of the distro. File a bug with Debian if you find
what the issue is.

Arno

Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx
----