Re: En/decrypting in multi-sector batches?

Mandeep Singh Baines (msb@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> [...]
> > size.
>
> As Arno said, there should be no real security problem for these block
> sizes. Basically we are just using CBC or XTS mode today.
>
> For XTS-AES, definition explicitly says that data unit (= your block)
> size should not exceed 2^20 128bit blocks (128bit = AES cipher block).
> (And even here possible attacks are closely related to birthday
> bound, IOW you need to have enough blocks encrypted with the same key.)
>
> So I do not see real security problem here. But problems are elsewhere.
>
> > 1. Does anyone know if there will be significant exposure to the
> > plaintext if dm-crypt used larger block sizes?
>
> Should not be.
>
> > 2. Would an optional, configurable block-size (up to PAGE_SIZE) be of
> > interest?
>
> Short answer would be no :-)
>
> As I said, I would like to prove first that the problem is really in block
> size and not in related problem.
>
> Now the real problems:
>
> The whole device mapper and dmcrypt works as transparent block encryption
> and we are always operating on 512B sectors.
>
> Even if device is 4k blocks, this is hidden in underlying layer and
> DM just properly aligns data and propagates limits but
> still operates on 512B sectors. (It can be ineffective for some
> IO patterns, but it works).
>
> Changing encryption block size causes device to be incompatible with other
> systems (note stacked devices, a common thing here - LVM over dmcrypt)
> and IOs. You have to generate only aligned IO of your encryption block size.
>
> (or change dmcrypt significantly)
>
> IO hints is not enough - maybe example is better here:
>
> Testing device (some random data there, not important)
> # dmsetup table --showkeys
> x: 0 417792 crypt aes-cbc-essiv:sha256 aeb26d1f69eb6dddfb9381eed4d7299f091e99aa5d3ff06866d4ce9f620f7aca 0 8:16 0
>
> Let's generate some direct IOs (to avoid page cache)
>
> *Without* your patch:
>
> # dd if=/dev/mapper/x iflag=direct bs=512 count=32 | sha256sum
> eed6cf19ee9b2ecc5f4a6d1b251468fd9d691cbee67124de730078a1eda2c0c4  -
>
> # dd if=/dev/mapper/x iflag=direct bs=4096 count=4 | sha256sum
> eed6cf19ee9b2ecc5f4a6d1b251468fd9d691cbee67124de730078a1eda2c0c4  -
>
> # dd if=/dev/mapper/x iflag=direct bs=8192 count=2 | sha256sum
> eed6cf19ee9b2ecc5f4a6d1b251468fd9d691cbee67124de730078a1eda2c0c4  -
>
> As you can see, we get the same plain data with different IO sizes.
>
> Now *with* your patch (page size is 4096):
>
> # dd if=/dev/mapper/x iflag=direct bs=512 count=32 | sha256sum
> dd: reading `/dev/mapper/x': Invalid argument
>
> # dd if=/dev/mapper/x iflag=direct bs=4096 count=4 | sha256sum
> 4f4271e7799097b6e0ed66d81a8341163b8a5a06a2c57f50b930d429a7aa94d1  -
>
> # dd if=/dev/mapper/x iflag=direct bs=8192 count=2 | sha256sum
> 17cf9897059800f5b43af38766471048b872d20a0f565ee553a351b1a6251141  -
>
> So block size of 512B causes operation to fail (ok - IO hints).
> IO of block encryption size and multiple of encryption size returns

But isn't this what should happen? You're trying to do 512B direct I/O
on a block device with a 4096B logical block size. The same error would
happen if you tried to do 512B direct I/O on a disk with a 4096B
logical block size. A portable user-space application should not
assume a logical block size when using direct I/O.