Re: dm-crypt kills NFS performance?

This sounds like one more problems with the Big Kernel Lock.
The basic problem (simplified) is that some operations
block everything while running. dm-crypt and RAID makes
them take longer, but the problem is the blocking.

You can possibly provoke the same issue by doing a
  cat /dev/zero > <some file>
on the fileserver, not necessarily to the RAID.
As the process priority does not much influence IO
usage, that does not really help.

As far as I can see, the best current solution is
to wait for kernel 2.6.39 (2.6.38 does already
help). In the meantime, slowing down rsync i/o (not
CPU load) could help. You can try something like this:

  rsync --bwlimit=1000 ...

Gr"usse,
Arno

Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx