LUKS Header and partition dimension

Hi all,
a few days ago my MBR was changed (I don't know how) and my extended partition which contained three LUKS partitions (root, home and swap) disappeared.
I testdisk-ed my disk and it found the beginning of those three partitions, but was unable to determine the size.
I tried setting a larger size for the first partition, but when I tried to decrypt it, cryptsetup reported "No key available with this passphrase".
I am positive that I'm trying with the right password on the right partition; I discovered that anti-forensic information is stored on the entire LUKS partition, so I tried setting the end of the partition at one sector less than the start of the next one, but I was unable to decrypt the disk.
I wrote a script which is trying to reduce the partition dimension one sector a time and that will stop if cryptsetup succeeds.
My question is: if the partition size changes, does cryptsetup stop unlocking the disk? (maybe because of a partition-size hash, or something that prevents unlocking a disk/partition if its size is not exactly the one that was created)
If the partition size has no relation with the disk unlocking, does it mean that somehow my LUKS header is corrupted (and therefore I'll be unable to unlock the disk, because I was so stupid I didn't backup the header)?

Thanks,
Claudio