Re: HDD sector size interrelated with dm-crypt?

Hi.

The definite source of info here is Milan but I guess:

Quoting Lars TÃuber <taeuber@xxxxxxx>:
So the real question is: Does dm-crypt work as expected on a 4KiB sector sized SATA drive when there is no translation to 512B sector size? Are there options that must be taken then?
It uses 512B sectors for the encryption, but AFAIK it optimises all reads/writes depending on the device topology.

I've read somewhere that the encryption algorithm work with 512B block sizes.
Could this be changed to 4KiB block sizes to gain speed with the upcoming devices?
No,.. and (although I'm not sure whether 4KiB would already be problematic) such high block sizes can cause security issues with some cipher modes (i.e. XTS).

Cheers,
Chris.