Re: Slow I/O with LUKS on amd64

On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 11:21:53 +0100
Milan Broz <mbroz@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Actually, I have been trying to use dmcrypt for my swap
(anything that is swapped HAS to be encrypted, of course,
because it can be anything).

However, while the disk benchmarked gives me the normal
50 MB/s for that disk/partition, reading/writing the swap
with encryption only gives me around 1 MB/s. This was
so unacceptable that I turned off swap all together:
I rather crash when running out of memory than having to
wait minutes every moment of the day (and for some reason
linux likes to use the swap a lot, even while normally
it is not running out of memory).

I have an Intel Core 2(tm) cpu (a Quad Core Extreme QX6700),
but also x86_64; stock debian kernel.

Carlo Wood <carlo@xxxxxxxxxx>