Re: hardware encryption question

On 02/26/2011 12:35 AM, Chuck Tuffli wrote:
> I'm developing a device driver for a SCSI card that is able to do
> XTS-AES encryption as a part of IO. Is it possible for dm-crypt to
> take advantage of this encryption offload? If not, what would I need
> to change to enable this capability? TIA!

dm-crypt uses kernel cryptoAPI, so if you implement proper driver
for cryptoAPI and this driver will be primary (or automatically detected)
for the cipher/mode it will be used in dm-crypt.

But it if it is not able to separate encryption from io path, you
cannot use it in dm-crypt. But you can stack other block devices over it
(like LVM).

Milan