Re: using dm-crypt on 2.6.35 kernel

On Fri, Jan 07, 2011 at 01:56:44PM +0530, Madhurima . wrote:
> HI,
>
> I have Linux 2.6.35 kernel on my device and I need to enable file system
> encryption for the device. Is it possible to use DM-crypt on the 2.6.35
> kernel. I read it somewhere that it can be used only on 2.6.4.

I suggest you read that again. If it truely says that, I
would like to know where that is writtem, because it is
complete nonsense.

> If yes, how?

Read the cryptsetup man page ("man cryptsetup") and the FAQ
at http://code.google.com/p/cryptsetup/wiki/FrequentlyAskedQuestions
This will take a few hours but cannot really be replaced
by some quick hints here. There are a few risks and issues you
need to understand before using disk encryption. If the man-page
is not there, install the cryptsetup package.

> I am sorry if the question sounds silly but I am new to linux and do not
> know how patches and stuff works there.

You do not need a patch. The driver/kernel side is typically
already in the kernel, unless you expicitely compiled a kernel
without it. For the user-space tools (the  UI if you like),
you can either install the cryoptsetup packacke with
the mechanism your Linux distribution uses (there are different
ways, depending on the distribution, but the package will
be cryptsetup). Or you can compile from sources in the
standard way for source packages. The later is likely also
coverd in the docunmentation for your distribution somewhere.

If this is in an embeded context, things will likely be more
difficult.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx