Re: ext3 + dm_crypt performance impact (CentOS 5.4 AMD64)

On 12/28/2010 03:10 PM, Robert.Heinzmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> What I also found was, that doing a simple
>
>   "dmsetup table --showkeys" actually shows the dm_crypt master key in
> hex for the disk
>
> Isn't that a little bit too easy ? Should dmsetup not at least scrumble
> it (xxxxx) ?

That's why --showkeys is not default ;-)

And all automated customer-oriented reporting systems must not use this option
(see output from sosreport ot lvmdump - no key there)

If you are root, you have many other ways how to get key from memory,
hiding it here makes no sense.

> Otherwise this information can easily leak out into ticketing systems,
> support attachents etc.

Nope, --showkeys must be explicitly given by user for dmsetup.

Milan