Re: LUKS/dm-crypt first time setup

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 05:50:30PM +0000, Tom wrote:

Hi,

I am using Fedora which solves all most of your concerns in a rather novice-friendly
way. Full disk ecnryption is offered for a new install and LVM can be managed with
GUI tools. In particular I found it easy to add new disks and partitions to the
encrypted LVM volume.

> 3. I'm looking into possibility of having boot partition on external usb
> key and the whole HDD would be encrypted. Now, I'm not sure if its
> possible at all and if yes, if its not beyond my current knowledge. But
> assuming (for now) that I can boot the system from usb key, will it work
> with LUKS/dm-crypt? I mean whole HDD will be encrypted LVM and
> unencrypted boot partition alongside with key file (either as a
> plaintext or hidden in MBR) will be on usb stick.

everything is doable, once you have the normal encryption working it is fairly
straightforward to copy the boot partition to tthe USB stick.

Richard

---
Name and OpenPGP keys available from pgp key servers