Re: Is partial LUKS recovery possible?

Miklos Bagi <miklos.bagi@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Gave this a try, cryptsetup create worked fine as suggested.
> FS is XFS, there are a number of superblock backups, but can't seem to find one.
> Does salt get generated out of this info, or is it something totally random?

Mh, I'm not really sure what you mean with "salt" here.

To set up a dm-crypt mapping you need a (block)cipher, a key, and a
(underlying) device.
If you set up a CBC-ESSIV (Encrypted Salt-Sector IV) cipher, there is
something like a salt (although this is more or less a misnomer)
involved, but this is deduced from the key.
So, you don't need an explicit salt to set up a dm-crypt mapping if you
know the key (called master key in LUKS context).

Furthermore, there are two salts involved with LUKS:
The first one is the salt used to derive the master key from a
passphrase. This one is stored in the respective key-slot. You don't
need this salt if you don't need to derive the master key from the
passphrase.
The second one is the so called master key salt used together with the
master key digest to verify the master key derived from a key slot is
correct. Needless to mention you don't need this as well if you know the
master key already.

Hence, if you *really* have the master key as you pretended, you don't
need a salt.

Thus, I'm not sure if you really have the master key.
Please tell us from where you have that what you think is the master
key.
Just as a hint: the master key is shown as hex string with
`dmsetup --showkeys table'. If you have it from there, you need to
convert it back to binary before feeding it to `cryptsetup create' via
--key-file.

It is not easy to check if your dm-crypt mapping is correct (i.e. feeded
with the correct key, the correct device offset, etc.) if, like in your
case, there is damage in the beginning of the partition - that decrypts
to more or less random data and thus doesn't let you easily verify the
correctness of your mapping.
If you know something about the data stored on the crypted device, you
could check the decrypted data for it. If, for example, you know there
should be ASCII data, you could browse the decrypted image for readable
text - it is very unlikely to decrypt something to readable text with
the wrong key. If, for example, you know there should be pictures, you
could try forensic tools like photorec, foremost or scalpel to see if
they find something that appears to make sense.

regards
   Mario
--
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand binary, and those who don't...