Re: WD20EARS (4KB sector size) lost Luks header after reboot

>> root@road:/dev/disk/by-uuid#  grep -ob --binary-files=text LUKS /tmp/sdm
>> 32256:LUKS
>>
>> or grep directly on /dev/sdm
>>
>> [ 32256 ] should be offset.
>>
>> What should I do with this?
>
> This confirms that you did create the LUKS container at the
> right place, namely the LUKS header is at 64 x 512 B offset.

64x512 =32768
32768  !=  32256

512 bytes is partition table? should it be 32780?
I am probably missing something.

I just tested it on other LUKS disks and every disk gives 32256 which means
that this offset is OK.

> This seems to be some bizzarre issue with your system not detecting the
> partitions right and LUKS is actually working as expected.

grep -ob --binary-files=text LUKS  /dev/sdm1

/dev/sdm1 does not return anything although it should return "0:LUKS".

 but grep on /dev/sdm returns "32256:LUKS"

> Ok, lets do some triage.
>
> - What Linux, what kernel version?

 2.6.29.4, vanilla

I have a few other HDDs in this machine, some of them with
LUKS,  raid5 with LUKS etc.
This is the only disk with LUKS on USB (others are intern/SATA)
but that should not be the reason.

> - Any special set-up like virtuzlization?
> - Any special partition management system?

No to both.

I think it has something to do with 4Kb sector size and some kind
partition table incompatibilty with the kernel.

or maybe mkfs.xfs did something because I did not use "-b 4096" (block size
in XFS is 4kB by default).

LUKS header starts obviously where it should if I look at /dev/sdm.

I don't know enough about partition tables and headers but it looks like
/dev/sdm1 is starting little bit too far and LUKS header stays before the
beginning of /dev/sdm1 (first partition).

Only obvious reason (at lease for me)  for this could be in this 4Kb
sector size.

Thanks

M.