Re: [BUG] bad performance and system stalls when using dm-crypt

On 11 September 2010 16:57, Heinz Diehl <htd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 11.09.2010, dave b wrote:
>
>> A simple test is just to dd if=/dev/zero of=DELETEME for a short time
>> and the system will stall rather a lot - it is not a complete lock up
>> - just the entire system is unresponsive for large periods at a time
>> (from around 30seconds - to 2 minutes).
>
> This is most likely due to the massive disk i/o which is generated by the
> dd command.

I don't this *this* should stall the entire system :)

>> This may be related to
>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.mm/51444 .
>
> I think this is completely unrelated, it's more a kind of a disk scheduler
> issue. I can't compare directly, because I'm running XFS on all of my
> machines, but you could try to fine-tune your disk scheduler. In any case,
> writing a big file and work on the same disk at the same time will always
> give you, hmmm.. "some delay", even without using encryption.

Agreed. :)

> You can see stalls up to 23 secs here, too. I'm using the latest kernel
> 2.6.36-rc3 from Linus' git repository, with the "global workqueue per cpu"
> patch from Andi Kleen on top of it (which should not give any performance
> boost here in this case). Scheduler is cfq, tuned this way:

My cfq is the same ^^ (settings)
Well it isn't just dd - if you do a lot of grepping / find . etc. -
like rkhunter does then the system also noticeably stalls  :/
I do not think the test you attached is a good representation of the
*actual* behaviour.
What it looks like to me is that there is a total collapse of
scheduled reads vs writes for *all* programs (other than the process
causing the io work)  for a given period
When I test the deadline scheduler my system is slightly more usable
:) - noop is a bit iffy.

Without dding:
atop --> DSK |         sda | busy     64% | read   78040 | write
133104 | avio    3 ms |
hdparm -tT /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
 Timing cached reads:   6382 MB in  2.00 seconds = 3191.73 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  382 MB in  3.02 seconds = 126.67 MB/sec

While dding: (dd if=/dev/zero of=TEMP  count=15553600)
atop --> DSK |         sda | busy     98% | read       5 | write
2057 | avio    4 ms |
(it spiked at 98% for extended periods  vs the one offs seen during
experimenting with noop and deadline)

-----------
Some of the output while dding using: dd if=/dev/zero of=TEMP  count=15553600

CFQ
  924   6.93s   0.00s     0K     0K     0K     0K  --   - R  68% kcryptd

fsync time: 0.0275
fsync time: 0.0232
fsync time: 0.0274
fsync time: 0.0215
fsync time: 0.7706
fsync time: 9.3548
fsync time: 14.4264
fsync time: 10.4625
fsync time: 12.5968
fsync time: 16.5984
fsync time: 15.4739
fsync time: 2.3007
fsync time: 0.0249
fsync time: 0.0513

Deadline:
fsync time: 0.1949
fsync time: 6.9050
fsync time: 14.3582
fsync time: 13.0077
fsync time: 11.6368
fsync time: 12.3486
fsync time: 5.1431
etc.

Really you can see that the deadline is 'worse' even though my system
is more usable than with the CFQ.

Lets switch to noop ;) (output for the entire dd run). the system is
still more usable than on the CFQ.
fsync time: 0.0243
fsync time: 0.0100
fsync time: 0.0186