Re: My sequence of failure

As you didn't do things to /dev/sdb1, but operated on the mapper device, just continue normally
with attempting recovery of the wiped file system.
Writing to the mapper device does not impact dm-crypt's operation in anyway (excepting bugs).
Just follow 'normal' procedure while working on the mapper-device (/mapper/backup) - all may not be lost - especially if
testdisk still kinds-of finds stuff. Don't touch /dev/sdb1!
Otoh, I am not sure how recoverable an e3-fs is.
Good luck!
And: Don't drink and be root ;)