Re: cryptsetup align problem

2010/9/3 Christoph Anton Mitterer
<christoph.anton.mitterer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Thu, 2010-08-26 at 14:43 +0200, Peter Smith wrote:
>> The LUKS volume is aligned to 1024K this is a multiple of 512 then lvm
>> is aligned to 512K with pvcreate --metadatasize 512k /dev/mapper/XXX,
>> i could also align dm-crypt to 4096K which is a multiple of 512 or
>> maybe align lvm to 1024K instead.
> AFAIU --metadatasize has nothing (directly) to do with the alignment,
> but just how much is reserved for metadata.
>
> Cheers,
> Chris.

I do not understand LVM well enough to say if it is correct or not
regarding to metadatasize, but the reason why i am configuring it this
way is a statement from Theodore Ts'o:

"LVM likes to allocate 192k for its header information, and 192k is
not a multiple of 128k. So if you are creating file systems as logical
volumes, and you want those volume to be properly aligned you have to
tell LVM that it should reserve slightly more space for its meta-data,
so that the physical extents that it allocates for its logical volumes
are properly aligned"

The disk i am using has a erase block size on 512K, therefore my
values is different.