Re: dm-crypt flush-to-disk freezes

On 23.08.2010, Arno Wagner wrote:

> > In case of the filesystem barriers (not the IO barriers, which are
> > different AFAIK) they're used to make sure, that the COMMITS in the
> > journal are written after the journal is correctly flushed out.

> If that means I am back to ext2 safety levels, then I can
> live with that.

You could turn the hardware wb cache of your harddrive off and leave the
barriers off too..

I've been running my disks a liftime without barrier support without any
hassle, because it improves speed and interactivity a lot, but I must
admit that my machines are all UPS secured.

 /dev/mapper/root on / type xfs (rw,noatime,logbsize=256k,logbufs=2,nobarrier)
 /dev/mapper/home on /home type xfs (rw,noatime,logbsize=256k,logbufs=2,nobarrier)