LUKS header size

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 05:01, Arno Wagner <arno@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> sorry, but you will have wiped the salt in the header, which
> makes recovery impossible. You will also have wiped all keys
> (they take about the first 8.5MB), which again does make recovery
> impossible. In fact, any recovery from this would mean that
> LUKS is badly broken security-wise.

8.5 MB? I thought a LUKS header usually takes only 2056 512-byte
sectors, which is slightly more than 1 MiB. I wonder where does that
belief come from. Almost all LUKS partitions I've been dealing with
have been created by Ubuntu's debian-installer. So debian-installer's
default must be the culprit.

What's the recommended LUKS header size?

 -- Alexander