Re: Hosed encrypted drive. Is disaster recovery possible?

On Sun, Aug 01, 2010 at 02:11:36PM -0700, Willie wrote:
> Evening all,
>
> I'm not very hopeful of a positive response, but having just made my
> worst mistake in thirty years of computing I thought this would be where
> most of the relevant knowledge is.
>
> I have an external 1.5TB Seagate drive, encrypted with dm-crypt/luks and
> formatted xfs.
>
> In a state of dog-tiredness, thinking I was pointing at a USB stick, I
> have inadvertently wiped a few hundred MB of the beginning of this disk
> with:
>
>    dd if=./archlinux-2010.05-netinstall-i686.iso of=/dev/sdc
>
> My question, as you might guess - is there any possibility of recovering
> the vast amount of data still on the drive? I could do it with an
> unencrypted disk, but I have no idea how to proceed in this case.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions. (I've managed not to cry so far...)
>
> Willie

Hi Willie,

sorry, but you will have wiped the salt in the header, which
makes recovery impossible. You will also have wiped all keys
(they take about the first 8.5MB), which again does make recovery
impossible. In fact, any recovery from this would mean that
LUKS is badly broken security-wise.

The only protection against this type of error is (besides a
conventional backup), a header backup, see the FAQ at
http://code.google.com/p/cryptsetup/wiki/FrequentlyAskedQuestions

I did something similar recently, (tired and thinking I was blanking
an USB stick), fortunately I had a backup of the whole disk. But the
lession to me was: Hands away from dd and family when tired.

Arno

--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx
----