Re: Efficacy of xts over 1TB

Hi David,

first XTS mode is not the default anywhere in cryptsetup, so
why would you want to use it? Is there any specific problem
with CBC-ESSIV that you wish do address?

On the other hand, TrueCrupt (not related to this project)
does use XTS mode as default.

The one limitation I find in the NIST document is "2^20 AES blocks"
which would be 128 bit blocks * 2^20 = 16MB per data unit maximum.
Data Units in the case of disk encryption would be 512 bytes
typically.

Looking at what seems to have gone on here, there is indication
that incompetent cipher(mode) design did happen, as the two
keys for XTS seem to be unecessary and adding complexity without
gain. Also the security goals of XTS seem to be not specified clearly:
  http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/ST/toolkit/BCM/documents/comments/XTS/XTS_comments-Liskov_Minematsu.pdf
  http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/ST/toolkit/BCM/documents/comments/XTS/collected_XTS_comments.pdf
This would be a reason to stay away from XTS, something may have
been subtly messed up.

As a side note, the XTS spec seems to be behind a IEEE paywall, which
would be another reason not to use it, public standards need to be
accessible for free.

Arno

Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx
----