Re: Recovering/Cracking passphrase

        Am Donnerstag, den 10.06.2010, 15:28 -0500 schrieb Justin Brown:
        > Hello,
        >

        > I'm in a really bad situation. Basically, I've lost my passphrase, and
        > I'm trying to find a way to recover it. I know what the passphrase
        > should be (it's a really good 20 character passphrase), but I must
        > have mistyped it when configuring cryptsetup or added some complexity
        > which I failed to write down. I've tried about every combination of
        > all the passwords and passphrases that I use, and I can't come up with
        > anymore, so I'm going to try to build a cracker. I'd like to get some
        > feedback before I put a lot of time into writing the code.

        I'm in a similar situation. Luckily, the Password is only 5 characters
        long.

        I try a different approach. I want to use John the ripper for cracking
        the password.

        Therefore I want to extract the sha1 key and salt from the luks Header.
        I don't know if this is possible somehow. Next I want to create a file
        from that data that is understood by JTR.

        To test this approach I created sha1sums with sha1sum and libssl from a
        3 letter word and put them in a password file. However I wasn't able to
        crack that password, even with sha1 support compiled into JTR. I guess I
        don't have the correct information in the password file and/or it is
        wrong formatted.

        Any help and suggestions on this approach is welcome!