Re: FYI: how to (really) cleanly shutdown the system when root is on multiple stacked block devices

On Sun, 2010-06-27 at 01:34 +0200, Arno Wagner wrote:
> Hmm. You know, encrypted root is a problem and pretty difficult
> to do in the rfirt place. Why not just encrypt the critical
> parts, like /var /home /root? The rest only holds binaries
> and config files anyways, which are not that sensitive...
They're actually very sensitive, against compromise "when I'm not there"
and the device is e.g. shut down (or even running).
An attacker with access to my device could easily add e.g. a rootkit
when I'm not there, which just waits until I once decrypt the "important
stuff" and sends the key/data back home.

dm-crypte largely protects you from this. Even if it doesn't give you
mathematical integrity/authenticity, it's still very difficult for an
attacker to do reasonable attacks (other then destroying your data)
because he neither know where to change, nor to which value.

Cheers,
Chris.