Re: Corrupted luks partition, help needed

I'm with Chris. Make backups of the header if it concerns you.

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 4:05 PM, Panagiotis Malakoudis
<malakudi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> A single bit flip can happen, especially in USB keys (I had the corruption
> in such a key). It can also happen to disks, by faulty hardware controllers,
> overclocked buses etc. The point here is that a single bit flip invalidates
> all your data. A sector corruption in the partition table does indeed
> invalidate your data, but it is really easy to reconstruct it. A corruption
> in the raid superblock also invalidates your data, but this can also be
> reconstructed (not really easy, but it can be done). But a corruption in the
> LUKS header cannot be undone. Of course, everyone should backup critical
> data, residing in encrypted disks or not, however, loosing all your data
> just because you lost one sector of the storage device is something that
> should be somehow not allowed to happen.

For what it's worth if it is really a single bit flip, for an n-bit
string you only have to try n possibilities. So you have
256*4000=1024000 possibilities to go through. Amazon will give us a
EC2 VM with "20" compute units which is about 20x a reference 1.2GHz
Opteron for $0.68/hour.
I wouldn't be surprised if my current 1.4GHz Atom was slower, and it
takes around 5 seconds to unlock a keyslot.

So, we'll need around (5 * 1024000) / 20 / 3600 * 0.68 = $50 and an
EC2 account to retrieve one of my keyslots :).

> I can suggest two things. A second copy of the first part of the LUKS header
> (not the keyslots), residing just after the keyslots. And parity information
> to keyslot data, in order to avoid the corruption that you loose some bytes
> or one sector.

Seems we're undoing the work of the AF splitter.

-- Roscoe