Re: LUKS - SSD trim

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 05:59:15PM +0200, Arno Wagner wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 12:59:18AM +0200, Richard Zidlicky wrote:

> > it can be even much worse. The most evil case is a specially crafted device manufactured
> > by a mighty agency which will record every single read/write/trim command. A few weeks ago
> > it was on the news here that most copiers have builtin hard discs and make copies of what
> > people are copying.. so who knows what is in our ordinary hard discs today.
>
> Only as temporary storage. Better copiers do a secure erase after
> the copy as well, but not all do. It is something copiers used
> for secret material can get certified for.

very offtopic, I would think there is certainly pressure from various agencies and companies
not to erase anything. Given that printers are programmed to print secret identification
patterns on every page there could be quite a few surprises lurking in copiers.

> That is way you use encryoption on top. However, it is higly unlikely
> current HDDs/SSDs store a lot of information of this type. The storage
> space is just not there.

most will do clever traffic analysis trying to predict access patterns at the very least.
Most likely not store everything to survive reboots but there can be exceptions.

Richard