Re: LUKS - SSD trim

On 04/22/2010 10:42 AM, mark wrote:
> On 22/04/10 03:17, Arno Wagner wrote:
>> You can image it to a file on a conventional disk and
>> image it back, e.g. wioth dd_rescue. That should
>> also fix things, at least for a while.
>
> I guess it might help to check that your partitions are aligned to the
> erase blocks on the SSD, before you restore the image of your brtfs.
> Look here http://www.saout.de/pipermail/dm-crypt/2010-February/000584.html

FYI: upstream svn have already automatic alignment code
(requires kernel 2.6.33 and above - topology ioclt calls supported).

I need just test it that it uses proper offset claculation:-),
but should be in cryptsetup 1.1.1

Anyway, yes - for SSD is VERY important to align the whole device stack
(partition, LUKS, LVM2, ...).
More important than TRIM support.

Milan