Re: passfrase or dev_random for keyfile of a dmcrypt_swap

On 19.04.2010, Si St wrote:

> I am thinking about a potential crash and the consequences if the swap partition has to be used for rebuild of something.
> Then a /dev/random or if necessary /dev/urandom would not be so good.

In this case, the only way to go is to have a passphrase, a randomly
generated key means you're locked out after the partition is closed.

Another possibility, if this sounds acceptable for you, is to pre-generate
a keyfile which resides on the root partition (and you keep a backup of it
on a safe place somwhere outside this machine), which is then used to
automatically unlock the swap partition in the boot process.