cryptesetup remove question

I am curious about the cryptsetup remove function and its purpose after rebooting a system.  Is my system still vulnerable to someone else mounting my encrypted file if I don't remove the mapping before I reboot?  When my system comes back up I don't see the mapping in /dev/mapping/cryptfile  .  Also if I do cryptsetup to mount the image again I have to re-enter the password.  So whats the point of using cryptsetup remove when shutting your system down?