Re: Long Unlocking Time

Am 25.03.2010 17:22, schrieb Milan Broz:
> I later version is this removed, BUT:
> If you are using device-mapper with udev enabled, its need to synchronise
> device node creation, which happens from the last dm udev-rule, but you are blocked
> in rule before -> deadlock -> timeout (maybe).

Does cryptsetup even use this synchronization feature?

> Best do not do these operations from udev rule at all.
>
> Maybe if it fork itself, it can work somehow. Anyway it is probably better
> to not add such commands directly to udev rule, but in some other system
> which registers for udev events (using some d-bus message or whatever).
>
> Someone probably can suggest better desktop solution...

One does not always want to rely on a desktop-based solution.

It should be possible to run a command that immediately daemonizes and
returns success. In fact, udev should probably implement a RUNAFTER
directive that does exactly that and can be used instead of the RUN
directive.
In my opinion, udev is the right place for such tasks, unless you want
to use or even write a daemon that listens for events using libudev -
which is overkill for such an easy task.