Re: Help! Command failed: /dev/sdd1 is not a LUKS partition

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 12:00:39PM -0500, M Thomas Frederiksen wrote:
> Last issue:
>
> I've got more drives to add to btrfs, but how will it know it needs to
> unlock the other drives to open the root partition? It's only unlocking
> /dev/sda3 during boot, because /dev/sdb2 and /dev/sdc2 aren't being used
> (even tho, I've got them in the crypttab). From the fstab
>
> /dev/mapper/sda3_crypt / btrfs error=remount-ro,compress 0 1
>
> it looks like it just needs the one. Also, they all have the same
> passphrase, so I'd like to unlock them all at once... which mandriva did,
> but kubuntu doesn't. Ideas?

There is no "drive unlocking", what happens is that a new
device is created which just happens to contain a decrypted
version of the encrypted one. They are not associated in any
way (except by an LVM mapping that is typically not understood
by applications).

So either there is a corresponding device in /dev/mapper or
not, btrfs does not care where the device comes from. And
if you have not done the cryptsetup, then there is no device
in /dev/mapper and btrfs cannot use a non-existent device.

Arno

--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx
----