Re: encrypted root: prevent / detect tampering with kernel / initrd

you can set bios password for every boot (if you trust your bios, this would mean that for any
software tampering your machine has to be taken appart, disk unplugged, etc. but most bioses had a lot of backdoor
passwords few years back, don't know how it is now, but not very nice I suppose)

so, to be extra sure, somekind of sum of unencrypted files is nice, yes.
that would mean that person would have to get past bios, boot another system, modify your kernel to make your hashing
program lie to you (know in advance that you use one, and which) and that is hard enough for me:)
(and is the most feaseable software hack idea those "if there is phisical access game over" people are talking about)

if you are that paranoid, you cary your initrd/kernel on usb with you.

btw,
those problems can be addressed with an evil child of drm, chain of trust.
http://theinvisiblethings.blogspot.com/2009/01/why-do-i-miss-microsoft-bitlocker.html

I'm gonna setup the hash thing right now :)

PGP 0x96085C00 http://lesh.sysphere.org