Re: Crack a dm-LUKS partition or harddisk

On Fri, Nov 06, 2009 at 07:27:57PM +0100, Heinz Diehl wrote:
> On 06.11.2009, Si St wrote:
>
> > Is the security problems as to e.g. watermarks also affecting gnuPG?
> > Well, I would think so if the ECB is used
>
> GnuPG uses CFB mode of operation (as defined in the OpenPGP standard),
> it's a streaming version of CBC and is therefore not vulnerable to
> watermarking. Please folks, correct me if I'm wrong.

AFAIK you are not wrong. Watrermarking vulnerabilities seem to
mostly afftect short, not chained cipher blocks, as in sector
level disk encryption.

> > I am a doctor and transfers daily info of thousands of patients every
> > day on a USB-stick.  Before I used to plaintextcopy them all to the
> > stick, but now I always encrypts it as a tar-file with gpg.  I transfer
> > the journals from my office machine to home machines....
>
> In my opinion, you're better off using LUKS/dmcrypt on the USB-stick. In
> addition, the whole system should be encrypted as well, to handle leaking
> of the passphrase/key.

As long as you do the encryption on the source machine and the decryption
on the target machine and the stick only ever has the gpg-encrypted
file on it, I see nothing wring at all with the procedure. And it is
significantly easier to set-up (stick-agnostic, as long as it has a
gfilesystem).

 > > The office machine is an old SuSE 7.3 !! with hardware from the year of
> > the Lord 2001. But this machine is NOT configured to internet - it is
> > only a stand alone machine.

This machine is fine, if you do not connect it to the Internet.
Never change a working system. You should hovever use a current
version of gpg.

Arno

Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx
----