Re: advice on encrypted snapshots [solved]

On Sat, 2009-10-31 at 11:03 -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> Here's my setup:
> V1E   encrypted volume, built on top of
> V1R   raw volume, which is part of
> VGA   volume group, composed of
> PVA   physical volume (which is actually software RAID).
>
> My terminology may be non-standard: V1E is readable and looks like a
> regular file system; V1R is the one that looks scrambled.  i.e.,
> cyptsetup luksOpen /dev/mapper/VGA-V1R V1E.
> One could say that V1R is encrypted.  Is there a conventional way to
> refer to these items?  V1R is the "backing device" and V1E is ....?
>
> So if I snapshot V1E I think I must use VGA (at any rate, I have no
> other space), which exposes the readable version of my data.
>
> Maybe I could snapshot V1R and use the same encryption key as for V1E
> make V2E?
That works.  Although Luca reported problems opening V1R and the
snapshot at the same time, I did not encounter problems.  However, there
was no activity on the original disk.

> Now that I think of it, I'm not even sure if LVM will snapshot the
> product of dm-crypt (V1E).
I'm pretty sure this can't work, since one must snapshot a volume path.
VGA/V1E does not exist (at least, /dev/VGA/V1E does not),
though /dev/mapper/V1E does.

I'm running a Linux 2.6.30 kernel.

Ross Boylan