Re: advice on encrypted snapshots

One pice of meta-advice may be appropriate:

Try for simplicity. If you feel your solution is getting
too complex to understand it in one go, try very hard to
find a simpler one. Complex solutions are not only a lot
more likely to fail, the chances for them to be secure
are a lot worse.

Incidentially, the ooriginal question was about file
backups, not snapshots. If you want a snapshot and
can afford to umount the device, just use dd.

A sector-level shapshot will leak information about
which disk areas have been changed (another reason
to do file-level backup), but other than that
it is as secure as the original partition.

Arno

Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx
----