how much extra space for LUKS?

I want to shrink a LUKS partition which has an underlying LVM logical
volume.  I am trying to figure out the relation between the size of the
filesystem, the size of the encrypted volume, and the size of the
underlying volume.

Converting everything to sectors, cryptsetup status reports
                          50,329,592
size
                               2,056
offset
df says encrypted device is
                                                              47,180,528

dumpe2fs says the size of the filesystem ("Block count") is
                                                              50,331,648
which is identical to the size of the underlying device reported by lvs.

My naive expectation was that the underlying device size (
                                                              50,331,648
) minus header (2,056; I suppose 2,055 actually) should equal the
reported size of the encrypted volume.  No such luck.

Concretely, the question is "if I shrink the file system size to n, what
value should I tell cryptsetup resize to use, and then what value should
I use resizing the underlying lvm volume?"

Thanks.
Ross Boylan

P.S. If anyone could answer my earlier question about how to de-LUKS an
encrypted partition, that would be great.