Re: Question on LUKS master key digest and its effect on?security

On 22.09.2009, Tero Pesonen wrote:

> Since there have been no comments on this, I was wondering if I should
> rather send questions of this sort on scri.crypt or some such place
> where these kind of topics are discussed? If so, is the iteration count
> 10 for the PBKDF2 correct? (So that I am able to formulate my question
> right and not pass on wrong information.)

First, I'm by no means a professional programmer, and I'm not a
LUKS/dmcrypt developer either.

As far as I understand the source, MK iterations is the iterations used to
derive the master key via PBKDF2 (mkDigestIterations), and what you can specify by using
"--iter-time" is the iterations used to transform a passphrase into a key
for one of the keyslots (passwordIterations), used to unlock the master key.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.