Re: Remote authentication?

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 02:47:50PM +0100, Niall Murphy wrote:
> ----- Jonas Meurer <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
> That sounds ideal. However, i came across this so have some reservations.
> http://www.howtoforge.com/unlock-a-luks-encrypted-root-partition-via-ssh-on-ubuntu
>
> It lists two types of attack to this approach:
>
> (1) ColdBoot Attack by reading the crypto password from the ram blocks
> (not much you can't do against that without special hardware, see here)

If you are worried abouy ColdBoot attacks, you need to increase
physical server security. A ColdBoot attacks are not possible
without access to the hardware and are generally not a concern
except in special situations. They also need advanced skills.
They are not expensive though if the hardware access is there.

> (2) The created initrd can be manipulated so that it logs the crypto
> password somewhere. As /boot is not encrypted an attacker may gain this
> way the password for the LUKS-devices. You could, to prevent that, make a
> bootable cd with the according kernels and initrds and implement some kind
> of hash check... maybe there are other methods... feedback is welcomed
> here.

If an attacker gets this level of control, other things are
possible. The CD is not really a solution, since the attacker
could change the boot order and boot a changed version of the
CD from HDD (for example). Basically the CD for a clean system
is only reliable if no other writable storage media are accessible
at boot time and a cold boot is ensured. Otherwise an attacker could
also boot the CD into a virtual machine, with the obvious
consequences.

There are possibilities to fight this, e.g. a hard power-cycle every
few hours and hardware that makes the HDDs unavailable until the CD has
successfully booted. But I doubt that is an adequate solution here
and it has drastic negative impact on reliability.

Better just do a careful restrictive firewall configuration, and
make sure your system is patched.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx